1. In a medium sized saucepan, combine the sugar, raisins and Boil for 5 minutes. (Note, you may substitute 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 3/4 cup granulated sugar; you may
also substitute 1 cup of water and 1/3 cup light rum).
2. Meanwhile, while the raisin mixture is boiling, add 1/4 cup shortening.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, spices, soda and
Mix well, and add the holiday fruit and nuts.
4. In a small bowl, beat the eggs well. When the raisin mixture
has boiled for 5 minutes, QUICKLY add the egg mixture to the
raisin mixture and then QUICKLY add all to the flour mixture and
5. Pour into a lightly greased tube pan and bake at 3F for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Cool completely.
Source: Linda Fields, Cyberealm BBS Watertown NY Typed
for you by: Linda Fields, Cyberealm BBS, Watertown, NY 1993
315-785-898 or 315-786-112