2 c Pitted and quartered Italian
Prune-plums, cooked until
Soft and cooled
1 c Unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 c Granulated sugar
3 c Sifted flour
1 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Ground cloves
1/2 ts Ground nutmeg
2 ts Baking soda
1/2 c Milk
1 c Walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 c Unsalted butter
1/2 lb Powdered sugar
1 1/2 tb Unsweetened cocoa
2 To 3 tablespoons strong, hot
3/4 ts Vanilla
1. To prepare the cake: Prepare prune-plums and set aside. Butter and
flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and
fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and continue to beat until mixture
is very light.
3. Sift flour with spices and soda. Add flour mixture to butter mixture
in thirds, alternating with the milk. Beat only to incorporate the
4. Stir in cooked prune-plums and walnuts. Turn into prepared pan and
bake in a preheated 350-degree oven 1 hour, or until cake begins to shrink
from sides of pan. Let cool in the pan 5 minutes before unmolding onto a
rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
5. To prepare the frosting: Cream butter. Add sugar and cocoa gradually,
stirring until well blended. Add salt.
6. Stir in coffee, a little at a time. Add just enough to make the
frosting a good spreading consistency. Beat until fluffy and add vanilla,
then frost cake.